After lots of emails and requests from my readers and fans my today’s discussion is about Constipation.
YES !!!, Constipation, is one of the most common burgeoning digestive problem of the fast-life. It makes life miserable especially for the working people.
Now, What is Constipation?
It refers to the infrequent bowel movements or bowel movements that are hard to eliminate. In medical terms, Constipation is defined as having bowel movements less than 3 times a week and Severe Constipation is less than 1 bowel movement per week.
Types of Constipation in Medical terms:
1. Spastic Constipation or, Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) .
2. Obstructive Constipation.
3. Atonic constipation.
There may be several, possibly simultaneous, causes for constipation. Some common causes are discussed below:
- Lack of adequate fiber in diet, low liquid intake and excessive dieting.
- Lack of physical activeness or exercise.
- A change in daily routine such as while traveling or working in rotational shifts.
- A change in life such as Pregnancy and Aging.
- Menopause and Menstruation hormonal and lifestyle changes.
- Ignoring your urge of having bowel movements results to Chronic Constipation.
- Mental stress ,depression,frustation whatever you use the term are the worst contributor to Constipation.
- Dehydration/hypo hydration or excessive loss of body fluid (water) .
- Abusive use of Laxatives.
- Chronic diseases or heavy injury.
- Consuming too much of dairy products.
- Anal fissure or Hemorrhoids causes constipation.
problems, Neurological disorders, Hormonal disorders. Colon
- Problems with intestinal functions.
- Some medicines such as Narcotic pain medicines, Antidepressants, Anticonvulsants, Iron pills, Calcium channel blocking drugs, Antacids may cause Constipation.
- Infrequent bowel movements or bowel movements hard to pass.
- A change in bowel habits.
- Abdominal pain.
- Inflated or swollen abdominal area.
- Sudden rise in frequency and bad smell in gas released out of stomach.
- Having frequent headaches.
- Indigestion problem.
- Below than normal urge to have meals.
- Bad smell in breathe and bitter mouth taste.
- Sluggish feelings.
- In a state of discomfort.
Effects of Constipation:
Constipation should be treated early at the primary stage. Long term no treatment can cause several problems. Some of them are listed below.
- Piles and Anal fissures.
- Fecal impaction.
- Gall bladder problems.
- Heart Disease.
- Weakens immune system of human body.
- Decreases energy level in body.
- Liver and Kidney problems.
- Underactive Thyroid gland.
- Mood swings.
- Rheumatic fever.
- Bowel perforation.
- Rectal prolapse.
- Extreme results to Bowel Cancer.
Constipation is curable if taken proper care.
Some general Tips as a treatment of Constipation:
- Sleep for a minimum of 8 hours.
- Eat only when hungry and take home made food while working out of house.
- Drink a lot of water regularly.
- Avoid eating junk foods.
- Avoid taking too much of diary products
- Try to avoid rotational shift jobs if possible.
- Eat foods which are rich in fiber.
- Try massaging your own abdomen area slowly and gently where fecal matter, gas may be trapped.
- Exercise is one of the best relief to constipation. Even a brisk walk of 30 min regularly can help.
- Reduce bread or flour products.
Foods to help Constipation are those rich in dietary Fiber:
- Wholemeal bread
- Brown rice
- Beans and pulses
- Breakfast cereals
- Fruit and vegetables
- Drinking fruit juices and vegetable juices like beetroot juice, apple juice and carrot juice at least 1 hour before meals regularly.
- Ginger tea is a good home remedy for constipation.
- Eat more fruits like Guava,Papaya,Grapes,Pears,
,Raspberries, Strawberries and Gooseberries. Oranges
- Eat 2 apples with peels in an empty stomach.
- Add some Honey or some extra sugar to a glass of milk. Drink twice daily.
- Eat fresh onion.
- Drink Aloe Vera juice regularly.
- Drink a glass of water added with some Lemon juice. At least 30 minutes before breakfast.
- Eating dried fruits like dried Plums, Raisins, or Apricots helps to vanish your bowel problems.
- Add Olive oil to all your meals, including soups and salads.
- Take Fresh vegetables regularly in your meals especially rich in fiber such as Cabbage , Cauliflower, Zucchini, Green beans , Beets, Broccoli, Corn, Spinach, Summer Squash, Peppers, and Celery.
- Take 1 tablespoon of raw Honey twice daily.
- Dissolve 3 to 4 Isabgol (Psyllium seed husks) powder in warm water or warm milk and drink regularly before going to sleep at night.
- Add 2 spoons of castor oil in warm milk and drink. Do this in your off day.
- Drink 5-8 glasses of warm water regularly when you woke up in the morning.
- Take 2-4 tablespoons of ground Flaxseed powder with a glass of water and drink regularly.
- Add spices to your daily meals such as Coriander, Cumin, Turmeric powder, Fennel, and Asafetida.
- Eat Bael fruit regularly for 2 to 3 months.
- Take 1 quarter of distilled water in a pot and pour 1 cup pitted prunes cut in half, 1 tsp cinnamon.Bring to a boil. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.Stir in Lemon juice. Eat as is or spoon over Oatmeal as a sweetener.
- Triphala is also good for constipation relief as it is a combination of herbs.It is available in capsules and tablets. Read the labels of the dosage before using it and do not over use it.
Constipation Treatment Medicines as per Pharmacists and Doctor's review:
1.Dabur Sat Isabgol (Psyllium Husk)
Dabur Sat Isabgol is Instant Mix Natural Fibre of Plantogo Ovata
2.Native Remedies Natural Moves Tablets
Natural Moves combines Aloe Vera and Taraxacum officinale aka Dandelion both known for their laxative properties and beneficial effect on digestive health and Passiflora is added to relax muscles of bowel wall and relieve stress and anxiety
3.Swiss Kriss Herbal Laxative
4.Planetary Formulas Triphala Internal Cleanser
5.Rezvera - Natural Remedies for Irritable Bowel Syndrome and IBS
Eliminate irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) ,improves colon health,supports normal bowel movement.
If you have any suggestions email us or write comments in the box below.We welcome your valuable suggestions. Share it with your friends if you like.
More Health and Healing Articles on: www.HealCity.com